Low Country Boil
- Boil Mix:
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons hot red pepper flakes
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 cup salt
- Lemons, halved and wrapped in cheesecloth
- For the Boil:
- 3 pounds red bliss potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 6 (4-inch pieces) good quality smoked spicy sausage like andouille or kielbasa
- 6 ears fresh corn on the cob, shucked
- 3 pounds fresh shrimp (26-30 count per pound), unpeeled
- Serving Suggestion: Biscuits or Hot bread
Place all the crab boil mix ingredients, except the salt and lemon into a spice grinder and pulse several times.
Fill a large pot with enough water to cover all ingredients. Use 1/2 tablespoon of this mixture plus 1/2 lemon wrapped in cheesecloth per quart of water used for low country boil. Add the boil mix, salt, lemon, and potatoes, and heat until boiling. Adjust the boil seasonings, to taste.
Once boiling, add the sausage. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Add corn and cook for 10 additional minutes. Add shrimp and cook no more than 3 minutes. Drain and serve.
Recipe courtesy Tanya Holland