- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon hot or medium Madras curry powder or Garam Masala
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 4 cups precooked brown lentils
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
In a large saucepan set over moderate heat, warm the oil until it is hot, add the onion, carrot, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, gingerroot, curry powder or Garam Masala, lemon pepper seasoning, herbs de Provence and bay leaves, and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes. Add the water and bouillon cube and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes more, or until mixture has thickened. Add the lentils, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes more, or until flavors have blended. Discard bay leaves.
Before serving, stir in the lemon juice and drizzle with the extra-virgin olive oil.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.