- 1 cup packed fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews
- 2 teaspoons rock salt, finely ground
- 1 3/4 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Special equipment: 18 sugarcane skewers
For the chimichurri: Combine the parsley, olive oil, vinegar, cilantro, crushed red pepper, cumin, salt and garlic in a food processor. Process until well blended. Let stand for at least 1 hour for the flavors to blend.
For the kebabs: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Combine 1/2 cup of the chimichurri with the lamb, cashews, rock salt, 3/4 teaspoon garam masala, the garlic, nutmeg and onions. Knead to combine thoroughly.
Pat the mixture evenly onto the skewers with moist hands and shape into kebabs. Place the kebabs on 2 baking sheets and bake for 8 minutes. Baste with the melted butter, and then continue to cook until completely cooked through, about 8 more minutes. Alternatively, the kebabs can be grilled over medium-high heat until slightly charred on all sides and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Baste the kebabs with the melted butter when they come off the grill.