Manila Clam Chowder
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups butter (3 1/2 sticks)
- 2 cups medium diced celery
- 2 cups medium diced onions
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart clam juice
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and diced medium
- 2 pounds fresh shucked manila clams (approximately 12 to 14 dozen manila clams in shell)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
In a large saucepan, heat oil and butter and add celery and onions, sauteing until translucent. Add flour to make a roux. Add clam juice and mix well to integrate flavors. Reduce heat to low, add cream and bring slowly to a simmer. Add potatoes, and let cook until just fork tender. As potatoes begin to soften, stir in clams and continue to simmer until clams become opaque, but be careful not to overcook the potatoes. Season with salt, pepper and crab boil seasoning, to taste.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.