Beef Soup (Caldo de Res)
- One 2-pound bone-in beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium white onion
- Pinch salt
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1 celery stick, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 chayote squash, cut in 2-inch strips
- 1 corn on the cob, halved
- 1 zucchini, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 head cabbage, quartered
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Corn tortillas, warmed, for serving
Combine the beef chuck cubes and the bone with 10 cups water, garlic and onion in large pot. Sprinkle with the salt and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes. Then uncover and skim off the foam and grease. Add the carrots, celery stick, chayote squash, corn, zucchini and cabbage. Cover, and continue simmering for 30 more minutes. Turn the heat off and serve hot with lime wedges, hot sauce and warm corn tortillas.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.