- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 medium eggs
- Tequila Infused Chocolate Ganache, recipe follows
- Lavender-Infused Cajeta, recipe follows
- Strawberry Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
- Mixed nuts
- Fresh strawberries
- Granny Smith apples, cored stemmed and sliced
- Tequila Infused Chocolate Ganache:
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange liqueur
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tequila reposado
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Lavender-Infused Cajeta:
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons lavender
- 1 cup cajeta
- Strawberry Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 fresh strawberries, diced
In a large pot over medium heat, stir together 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the butter and salt, and bring to a simmer.
In the meantime, preheat a deep fryer to 360 degrees F. Alternatively you can use a large heavy-bottomed pot with enough oil to come 3 inches up the sides.
In a large bowl stir together the remaining 1 cup sugar with the cinnamon and set aside.
When the dough mixture in the pot reaches a simmer, dump in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to incorporate and remove lumps, about 1 minute.
Remove the flour mixture from the heat and scrape into a heat-proof bowl. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until fully incorporated. Spoon the batter into a pastry bag or a plastic resealable bag fitted with a star tip and carefully pipe the dough into the heated oil, forming 6-inch strips. Fry in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pot, for 3 to 5 minutes, turning once as the underside browns. Remove with a spider or slotted spoon and drain on paper-towel-lined sheet tray or plate. Repeat for the remaining churro batter.
Gently add the hot churros to the bowl of cinnamon sugar, tossing to coat. Serve the churros with Tequila Infused Chocolate Ganache, Lavender Infused Cajeta, Strawberry Dipping Sauce and an assortments of nuts, strawberries and apple slices.Tequila Infused Chocolate Ganache:
Place the chocolate into a medium stainless-steel bowl.
In a saucepot, combine the cream, orange liqueur, tequila, nutmeg and cinnamon stick. Heat the mixture over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, then remove from the heat. Remove the cinnamon stick, and then pour over the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Serve immediately.Lavender-Infused Cajeta:
Combine the cream and lavender in a small saucepot and heat over medium heat. As soon as the cream comes to a boil remove from the heat and stir in the cajeta until it has been evenly incorporated. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve. Serve immediately.Strawberry Dipping Sauce:
Combine the condensed milk and cream into a medium bowl. Whisk until evenly incorporated. Fold in the strawberries. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Marcela Valladolid