Mexican Summer Salad
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 chile de arbol (with seeds) torn into very small pieces or 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes* see Cook's Note
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup pitted and halved black kalamata olives
- 3/4 cup pitted and halved green olives
- 3/4 cup halved assorted colored cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 8 ounces Mexican Cotija or feta cheese, cubed
In a small, dry skillet, toast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, chile, and pine nuts over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer the dressing to a serving bowl and whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the olives, tomatoes, cilantro and cheese. Toss gently to combine and serve.
*Cooks Note: The dried chile can also be cut into small rings using scissors.
Recipe courtesy of Marcela Valladolid
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray