- Vegetable oil
- 12 whole yellow chiles (guero chiles), or Hungarian wax or large jalapeno
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, from about 2 large limes
Pour enough vegetable oil in a large heavy skillet to come 1/2 inch up the sides of the pan and heat to 350 degrees F.
In a separate pan, heat the olive oil. Add the chopped onions and saute until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add the bell peppers and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until pink and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Season the filling with salt and pepper.
Cut a lengthwise slit in each chile and carefully scoop out the seeds, leaving the stem intact. (For milder heat, carefully cut out the ribs.) Divide the shrimp filling among the chiles, then close, overlapping the sides of each opening slightly.