Spiced Chicken with Chocolate Pasilla Sauce
- One 5-pound whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled Mexican oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped white onion (from 1 large or 2 small onions)
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (homemade or store-bought low sodium)
- 5 pasilla chiles, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes and drained
- One 3.2-ounce disk Mexican chocolate, roughly chopped
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Set a cooling or baking rack into a baking sheet. Place the chicken pieces on the rack and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Rub the spice mixture all over. Rub some of the mixture in between the skin and the breast meat. Transfer to the oven and roast until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 160 degrees F and the juices run clear when pierced with a fork, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the chicken from the oven and cover with some aluminum foil. Let rest for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and chicken broth and cook over medium-high heat until the flavors incorporate, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cool slightly. Transfer the mixture to a blender with the soaked pasilla chiles and puree until smooth. Return to the same saucepan and add the chopped chocolate, stirring over medium heat until fully melted, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Top with the chocolate pasilla sauce. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve.
More Recipes and Ideas:
BBQ Spiced Chicken, Salsa Salad and Pumpkin-Chipotle Polenta, Moroccan Spiced Lamb or Chicken, Provencal Chicken Burgers With Pissaladiere Topping, Chicken Chili Recipes, Latin American Recipes, Chicken Cacciatore Recipes, Mexican Chicken Recipes, Healthy Mexican Recipes, Chicken Curry Recipes