- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 serrano or jalapeno chile peppers
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cup finely diced peeled jicama
- Tortilla chips, for serving
Warm the vegetable oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chiles and cook, turning, until the skins blister, about 5 minutes. Let cool, then stem and finely chop.
Combine the chopped chiles with the mango, cilantro, lime juice and onion in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Mash the avocados in a medium bowl. Mix in the mango-chile mixture and the jicama. Season with salt and pepper and serve with chips.
Photograph by Con Poulos