Spicy Pork with Guajillo Salsa (Puerco Enchilado)
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 pounds pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup Guajillo Salsa, recipe follows
- Corn tortillas, for serving
- Guajillo Salsa:
- 24 guajillo chiles, stemmed, seeded and deveined
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 medium white onion, peeled
- 1 vine ripened tomato, boiled 30 seconds, peeled and seeded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
Heat the oil in a large, heavy stainless steel saute pan (do not use nonstick) over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and saute until golden in color, about 5 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and reserve. Add the pork to the same pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sear the pork until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Return the potatoes to the pan, along with the beef broth and Guajillo Salsa. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cover. Simmer on medium-low heat for at least 15 minutes until the pork is cooked through. Turn off the heat and serve immediately with warm tortillas.Guajillo Salsa:
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, place 4 cups water, the guajillo chilies, garlic cloves and white onion and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer until the chiles are soft and tender, about 25 minutes. Transfer the boiled vegetables, the tomato and 2 cups of the boiling liquid to a large blender and set aside to cool before blending. Process until smooth. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of black pepper.
In a medium, heavy saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Strain the pureed guajillo salsa into the pan. Add the bay leaf and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper as desired.
Reserve for enchiladas and pork.
Cook's Note: For ease of preparation, you can use 2 store-bought, canned whole tomatoes, seeded, in place of 1 fresh, boiled tomato. Yield: 3 cups.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.