Summer Scallop and Shrimp Coctel
- 1/2 pound jumbo sea scallops, (6 to 8)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup clam-tomato juice (recommended: Clamato)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon seeded and finely chopped serrano chile, from about 1/2 serrano chile
- 1 teaspoon bottled hot sauce
- 1/2 pound cooked small shrimp, shelled, deveined and tails removed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Saltines or tortilla chips, for serving
Stir together the onions, clam-tomato juice, ketchup, lime juice, cilantro, serrano and hot sauce in a large bowl until well incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
Quarter the chilled scallops. Add the quartered scallops and shrimp into the onion-sauce mixture and gently stir to combine.
Divide among 4 (6-ounce) glasses. Serve with saltines or tortilla chips.
Recipe courtesy of Marcela Valladolid