Toasted Bean and Cheese Open-Faced Sandwiches ("Molletes")
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans ( Frijoles De La Olla, recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 bolillos or other crusty oval-shaped roll, split in 1/2 lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups shredded white cheese *see Cook's Note
- Serving suggestion: Pico de Gallo salsa
Preheat a broiler.
Drain the beans in a colander set over a bowl. Save the bean liquid.
Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and saute until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the drained beans. Using a potato masher, mash the beans until they become a spreadable mixture, adding extra bean liquid, if needed.
Put the rolls on a baking sheet and broil until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Spread each half of the rolls with about 1/2 cup of the refried beans. Top with shredded cheese. Return to the oven and broil until the cheese is melted and starting to bubble. Transfer the rolls to a serving tray and serve.