Maria's Meat Pie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for drizzling over the pie
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 pound zucchini, trimmed and sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 pound ground veal
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 5 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons each minced fresh thyme and rosemary leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon each dried mint and rosemary, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon Cevender?s Greek seasoning, if available
- 1/2 cup dried or fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, or to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a nonstick skillet set over moderately high heat, warm the oil until it is hot, add the onion and cook it, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, herbes de Provence, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes more, or until lightly golden. Let cool.
In a 9 inch greased pie pan sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons of the bread crumbs, or enough to coat the bottom of the pan evenly. Add half of the zucchini mixture to the pan, arranging it in an even layer, top with the meat and finally cover with the remaining zucchini.
In a bowl combine the remaining parsley, bread crumbs and the Parmesan and sprinkle the mixture over the top of the pie. Drizzle with a little oil. Bake the pie in the oven for 20 minutes, or until cooked through and golden. Let cool slightly before serving. It can be served warm or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy Padma Lakshmi