Marinated Beef Satays with Sweet Chile Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 pound flank steak, sliced against the grain
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup thin soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing wine or red wine
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 12 wooden skewers soaked in water
- 2 cups soaked mung bean or rice vermicelli
- 1 bunch Thai basil leaves
- 12 red lettuce leaves
- Sweet Chile Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
- Sweet Chile Dipping Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 Thai bird chiles, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
Marinate steak in a bowl with oils, soy sauce, wine, garlic, scallions, black pepper, and sugar. Let stand at least 4 hours refrigerated.
On a hot oiled grill, cook satays until medium rare.
On a large plate, arrange red lettuce, noodles, and basil. Wrap beef, noodles, and basil with the lettuce, in amounts desired. Dip into the Sweet Chile Dipping Sauce.
Suggested drink: Singha BeerSweet Chile Dipping Sauce:
In a hot saute pan, coat with oil and cook pepper, shallots, ginger, chiles, and lemongrass until soft. Deglaze with juice. Add honey and salt and check for seasoning. Serve at room temperature.
Ming Tsai, All Rights Reserved, Copyright 1998
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay