Marinated Mushroom and Arugula Salad
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces white or cremini mushrooms, stemmed if woody or dry
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 8 cups arugula (about 3 bunches)
- 2 ounces Manchego or Parmesan
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushroom caps and cook until brown and tender, about 8 minutes. Stir the remaining olive oil, vinegar, onion, water, garlic, coriander, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Add the oil mixture to the mushrooms and cook until tender and marinade has reduced, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl and cool. Serve now or refrigerate for up to a week.
Meanwhile, put the almonds in a small dry skillet over medium heat, toss until evenly toasted and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
Toss the arugula with the marinated mushrooms and marinade in a large bowl and divide among 4 plates. Shave the cheese and scatter the almonds over the top.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchens
Recipe courtesy of Paul Young
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse