Baccala in the Saracen Style: Stoccafisso alla Corropolese
- 1 (3-pound) stock fish (salted cod with skin and bones), soaked for 48 hours in 2 or 3 changes of water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cups canned and peeled tomatoes, crushed, plus their juices
- 2 red bell peppers, cleaned and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 3 quinces, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup raisins, plumped in warm water and drained
- Salt and pepper
Remove the fish from its bath and remove the fins, backbone and jaw bones, then fillet it and chop finely.
In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and add the onion, celery, parsley, and pepper flakes and stir over the heat for 5 minutes. Add the fish and stir well, then add the tomatoes, bell peppers, quince, and raisins and stir well. Season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat 10 minutes, until hot all the way through. Serve immediately.
Recipe copyright Mario Batali, 2002. All Rights Reserved.