Baked Eggplant: Melanzane al Forno
- 3 medium eggplants, to yield about 3 pounds, stem removed, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Place eggplant slices in a single layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush each slice with the olive oil. Stud each slice of eggplant with the sliced garlic, embedding the garlic as much as possible into the flesh of the eggplant. Season with salt and pepper and bake 20 to 25 minutes, until soft and golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool. When cool, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.