Bigoli with Duck Ragu
- 1 recipe bigoli
- Duck ragu sauce:
- 4 duck legs and thighs, skin removed
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup red wine (Chianti preferred)
- 1 pound canned tomatoes, peeled whole
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 -ounce dried porcini mushrooms
To prepare ragu:
Wash duck legs and remove all fat. Pat dry.
In a thick bottomed casserole or Dutch oven, heat olive oil until smoking. Add duck legs and cook until brown on all sides and remove, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add onion, carrot, garlic and celery and cook until softened, about 7 to 9 minutes. Add wine, tomatoes, chicken stock and dried mushrooms and bring to a boil. Add duck legs and return to boil, lower heat, cover and allow to simmer for 1 hour. Remove duck legs and allow to cool. Pull all meat off the bones and return to the pot without the bones. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, or until quite thick. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
To prepare dish:
Fill a large pot with 6 quarts water and add 2 tablespoons salt. Cook bigoli until al dente, about 8 to 9 minutes. Heat sauce, drain pasta and toss in pan. Toss to coat and serve immediately.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali