Black Cabbage Bruschetta: Fetta Col Cavolo, Olio Nuovo and Pecorino Fresco
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 4 tablespoons
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced, plus 2 peeled whole cloves
- 2 bunches cavolo nero (or kale), chopped into 1-inch ribbons
- 4 slices country bread, 1-inch thick
- 1/2 pound pecorino toscano
Preheat the grill or broiler.
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the 6 tablespoons olive oil and the garlic slices together over medium heat, until the garlic begins to soften. Add the cavolo all at once, stirring to keep the garlic from settling at the bottom. Cover the pan and allow the cabbage to cook until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, grill or toast the bread. Rub 1 side of each toasted bread slice with raw garlic. Place 1 slice of bread in 4 shallow bowls and top each slice with a large spoonful of the cabbage mixture. Drizzle each bruschetta with 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and shave pecorino over each portion.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali