- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, including rosemary, thyme, basil, sage, arugula, and parsley, plus more, for garnish
- 2 zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 ripe tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped, or 1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 white onion, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 (1-inch) slices country bread, crusts removed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 small dried hot chile pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
In a stockpot, combine the herbs, zucchini, green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, and onion and cover with water. Add salt, to taste, and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Soak the bread briefly in water, then squeeze to get rid of excess liquid. Crumble soaked bread and add to soup, along with chile pepper. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the bread has broken down and thickened the soup, about 10 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately, topped with olive oil and fresh green herbs.