- 1/2 loaf day-old Italian peasant bread
- 3/4 pound small red tomatoes, very ripe, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 tablespoon marjoram leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
Soften the bread in cold water, then remove it, squeeze out the excess liquid, and crumble it into a soup pot. Add enough water to barely cover, then add the tomatoes, garlic, 1 tablespoon oil, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes have completely fallen apart.
Add the cheese, marjoram and remaining oil, adjust the seasoning and serve, divided evenly among 4 warmed soup bowls.