Bresaola with Raw Artichokes
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 baby artichokes
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces bresaola, sliced paper-thin on slicing machine (ask your butcher)
- 1/4 pound chunk Parmigiano-Reggiano
In a mixing bowl, stir together the lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil and water. Set the mixture aside. Remove the outer leaves of the artichokes and trim the stalks. With a paring knife, trim artichokes down to the choke. Discard the choke. Cut the artichokes into paper thin slices, lengthwise and toss into the bowl with the lemon juice mixture.
Continue until all artichokes are finished.
Slice the shiitakes into 1/16-inch thick slices, and add to the bowl with the artichokes. Toss the mixture gently to combine and coat the shiitakes with lemon juice. Gently stir to mix well and season the mixture, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Divide and arrange the bresaola onto 4 cool plates. Divide the artichoke/mushroom mixture on top of bresaola. Using a vegetable peeler make shards of cheese to serve as a garnish. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali