Cannellini Bean Antipasto with Shrimp: Antipasto di Cannellini
- 1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
- 1 clove garlic, quartered
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cooked (or rinsed and drained canned) cannellini beans
- 1/4 cup chopped red onions
- 2 (5-inch) sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, plus more to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and the garlic over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the shrimp and cook, stirring frequently, until they turn pink, about 4 minutes.
Remove the shrimp from the pan, reserving the garlic and oil. Chop the shrimp into pieces slightly larger than the beans. Toss the shrimp with the beans, adding the reserved oil and garlic.
In a serving bowl, toss the shrimp and beans with the remaining olive oil and the red onions. Strip the rosemary leaves from the stems and add to the beans. Toss, then add the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Toss again, before adding the basil. Just before serving, toss the beans once more and adjust seasoning. Add more oil, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar, as desired.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Joan Tropiano Tucci and Gianni Scappin with Mimi Shanley Taft, Cucina & Famiglia: Two Italian Families Share their Stories, Recipes, and Traditions, William and Morrow, 1999