Capon Salad: Insalata Di Capone
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 15 min
- 1 hr
- 15 min
- 8 to 10 servings
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3 pounds diced poached capon meat
- 3 cups finely diced celery
- 2 cups pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup shelled pistachios, blanched and skinned
- 1 1/2 cups fruity olive oil
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon aged balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings, optional
Put raisins in a bowl and add warm water to cover. Soak until raisins are plumped, about 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
In a large bowl, combine the capon, celery, pomegranate seeds, pistachio nuts, and soaked raisins; mix well. In a bowl, combine the olive oil and vinegars, whisking to emulsify. Pour over the salad and season with salt and pepper. Mound the capon salad on a serving platter. Top the salad with the Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings, if desired.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Roberta Dowling, Cambridge School of Culinary Arts
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali