Castagnaccio con Lardo (Chestnut Cake with Fat Back)
- 2 cups chestnut flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 pound lardo, pork fatback, finely chopped
- 1/4 pound prosciutto, finely chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, place flour, sugar and walnuts. Add 1/2 cup cold milk and slowly add the rest of the milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps forming in the batter. Grease a 9-inch, non-stick baking pan with 1 tablespoon oil and pour in the batter. Drizzle the top with the remaining oil and distribute 2 tablespoons rosemary evenly over the top. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
While castagnaccio is cooking, combine the lardo, the remaining 1 tablespoon rosemary, prosciutto, garlic and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Stir well to combine and set aside. Remove castagnaccio and serve warm with a thin layer of lardo spread on top.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.