- 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 4 salted anchovies, rinsed, filleted and finely minced
- 9 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup freshly grated pecorino
- 1/4 pound ricotta salata, whole
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the oil until smoking. Add the cauliflower and the anchovies and cook slowly until the cauliflower is very soft, yet still holding its shape, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Place the cauliflower in a large mixing bowl and add the eggs, bread crumbs, flour and pecorino cheese and stir to mix. In a 10 to 12-inch, non-stick saute pan, heat the oil by the tablespoon and add 3 tablespoons cauliflower mixture, cook for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove to serving platter. Continue to make pancakes with the remaining batter. Sprinkle with coarsely grated ricotta salata and serve.