Chilled Pappa al Pomodoro with Crab Meat Crostini
- 2 1/2 pounds very ripe tomatoes, cored
- 1 1/2 cups torn up day old bread
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces fresh crab meat, Dungeness or Maryland
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus 1/4 cup
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 slices baguette, toasted and cooled
In a food processor, blend tomatoes until liquid. Add day old bread, basil, thyme and generously season with salt and pepper. If too thick, thin with water. Allow to sit in a cool place.
In a medium mixing bowl, toss crab meat, 2 tablespoons extra virgin oil, juice and zest of 1 lemon, red pepper and scallion gently together and season lightly with salt.
Divide cool tomato soup among 4 bowls. Place 1 slice baguette in center of each bowl. Float 2 ounces crab meat mixture on top of each baguette slice and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali