- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- Red grapes in syrup, recipe follows
- Caramelized chestnuts, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Red grapes in syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 bunch large seedless red grapes, removed from the vine
- Caramelized chestnuts:
- 1 pound whole fresh chestnuts in the shell
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a cookie sheet.
Transfer the dough to a well-floured cutting board and shape into a log about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Form the log into a ring in the center of the cookie sheet. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until light golden brown. Remove, transfer to a rack and cool to room temperature.Red grapes in syrup:
Combine sugar, water and wine in a saucepot. Bring up to a boil dissolving all the sugar in the liquid. Add the grapes and cook until they just barely burst. Keep warm until ready to serve.Caramelized chestnuts:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. With a paring knife, score the bottom of each chestnut with an "x". Roast the cut chestnuts on a baking sheet for 20 minutes. Remove chestnuts from oven and wrap in a dishtowel until cool enough to handle. Peel off chestnut shells. In a large saute pan, melt the butter and add the chestnuts. Cook over a low flame for about 5 minutes. Once evenly browned, add the sugar and toss. Allow to caramelize for another 5 to 6 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.