Clam and Mussel Soup: Brodetto di Cozze e Vongole
- 1/2 cup plus 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 pounds mussels, scrubbed, bearded and rinsed
- 2 pounds clams
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 3 salted anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 slices country bread
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped to yield 1/4 cup
In 2 separate pots, place 1/2 cup white wine. Add mussels to 1 pot, clams to the other, cover both pots and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to an active simmer and cook until mussels and clams have been steamed open, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the shellfish from their respective pots, reserving the cooking liquid, and allow to cool. Once cool, shuck shellfish and discard shells.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large soup pot, combine the shellfish cooking liquid, vinegar, 1/4 cup oil, anchovies, peppers, onion, celery, carrot and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the shellfish and stir to heat through.
Meanwhile, toast the bread in the oven for 4 minutes, until light golden brown and crispy. Divide the soup among heated soup bowls, drizzle with a little extra-virgin olive oil, sprinkle with parsley, and serve with a slice of toast floating on top.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Rice and Sausage Soup: Minestra di Riso e Luganica, Fava and Pecorino Soup: Zuppa di Fave e Pecorino, Warm Thanksgiving Salad of Clams, Mussels, and Mushrooms, Carrot Soup Recipes, Lobster Bisque Recipes, Clam Recipes, Bean Soup Recipes, Tortilla Soup Recipes, Chicken Soup Recipes