"Concia" of Zucchini: Concia di Zucca
- 3 medium green zucchini, about 1 pound
- 3 medium yellow zucchini, about 1 pound
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 zucchini flowers
- 6 medium cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 bunches fresh basil, cut into chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly grounds black pepper
- 1 porcelain or glass deep dish pie pan
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Freshly grilled bread
Trim the green and yellow zucchini at both ends and slice lengthwise into pieces 1/4-inch thick. Heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan until just smoking. Cook 5 or 6 pieces of zucchini at a time until golden brown, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the pieces and drain on paper towels. Continue with the remaining zucchini until finished. Then cook the flowers in the same way.
In a mixing bowl, lightly stir together the garlic, basil, salt and pepper until well-mixed. Place several pieces of zucchini on the bottom of the pie dish until the base is covered. Sprinkle the zucchini with 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of the herb mixture as evenly as possible and spritz with 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar. Continue layering the zucchini and herb mixture until the zucchini is finished, top with the flowers and cover with plastic. Refrigerate 2 hours before serving. Serve over freshly grilled bread.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.