- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil plus 4 cups extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons lambrusco red wine
- Sea salt
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 8 ounces stracchino cheese
In a mixing bowl, stir together the rosemary, flour, olive oil, egg, and red wine until you have formed a soft dough. Knead 4 minutes and then roll out into a circle that is 1/4-inch thick. Do not over knead. Dough also can be made using the "well" method. Let rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
In a 3-inch tall saucepan, heat the oil to 360 to 375 degrees F.
Cut the dough into 3 to 4-inch triangles. Gently place the dough triangles into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Using a slotted spoon or strainer, remove the donzelline from the oil and place to drain on a serving plate lined with paper towels.