2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 whole sprig parsley, plus 1 sprig, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 3 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 6 eggs
In a 10-inch skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, 1 sprig parsley, and the garlic. Cook, stirring, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and let it completely evaporate. Add the tomatoes and their juices. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Remove the garlic and parsley sprig.
Stir in the chopped parsley and basil. Break the eggs into the sauce, cover, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat, let sit 5 minutes, then serve in individual bowls, allowing 1 egg per person.