- 2 small pheasants
- 2 tablespoons lardo or fat back
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 rosemary branches
- 1 (16-ounce) can peeled tomatoes and their juices, crushed by hand
- 1 ladle chicken stock (see attached)
- 8 slices pancetta
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Quarter the birds and season with salt and pepper. In a 14 to 16-inch skillet, heat the lardo over high heat. Sear the poultry on all sides, then remove to a plate and reserve.
Add the onion, sage, bay leaves, garlic, and rosemary and cook over high heat 5 minutes. Add the stock and tomatoes, bring to a boil, and return the poultry to the pan, each piece wrapped in pancetta (secure with a toothpick if necessary). Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until juices run clear from a piece of the bird.
Remove bird pieces to a serving platter, check sauce for seasoning, stir in parsley and spoon over pieces.