- 2 pounds fresh fava beans, shelled
- 1 head escarole, trimmed, washed and roughly chopped
- 3 shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, plus 2 cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 fresh hot red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
In a large saucepan, place the fava beans, escarole, shallots, the whole garlic, thyme and pepper and add enough water to come up 2 inches above the solids. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 30 minutes.
Puree the mixture in the bowl of a food processor and return to the pan.
In a small skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chopped garlic and cook until it starts to color, about 2 minutes, then add the parsley. Pour this mixture into the soup. Divide evenly among 4 warmed soup bowls and top with the cheese.