Fegato alla Instriana
- 2 pounds calf's liver, soaked overnight in milk
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large Spanish onions, sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch half moons
- 4 ribs celery, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves
- 2 cups red wine from Friuli
- 1/2 cup veal stock, demiglace
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons butter
Drain calf's liver and pat dry. Cut into 1-inch thick pieces and season with salt and pepper and dredge in salt. In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan over high flame, heat olive oil until smoking. Saute liver pieces until dark golden brown on both sides and remove to a plate. Add onions, carrot, celery, garlic and cloves and cook until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add red wine, veal stock and lemon juice and reduce by half. Place liver and escaped juices back into pan with wine mixture. Add butter and simmer 8 to 10 minutes until liver is warmed through to medium. Garnish with lemon zest and serve with bruscandoli.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.