- 10 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 medium bulbs fennel, blanched and cut in half, fronds reserved
- 5 fillets salted anchovies, rinsed, and finely chopped, or 3 tablespoons anchovy paste
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 cup Strega liqueur
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until smoking. Add the fennel halves, anchovies, and garlic. Cook until the fennel is a dark golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add the Strega and cook until almost all the liquid has been reduced and fennel is completely glazed. Sprinkle the fronds over the fennel and season with salt and pepper.