Fire-Roasted Artichokes with Almonds
- 8 jumbo artichokes
- 12 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup almonds, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, zested, seeded, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
Pre-heat barbecue or grill.
Cut pointy tops and tips of jumbo artichokes off by about 1-1/2 inches. In a mixing bowl, mix garlic, almonds, salt, pepper, chopped lemons and oregano leaves until well blended. Spread artichokes apart, using fingers until they are open like flowers. Divide the oregano mixture among artichokes and stuff it down between the leaves. Drizzle 4 to 5 tablespoons olive oil over each artichoke and place flowers up into coals or on top of grill. Cook, turning occasionally, for 1 hour. Outer base will char and become inedible, but the inside will be fully cooked and amazing.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali
Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeira