Fregula with Clams and Chilis
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces prosciutto, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1 pound tiny clams, cockles or manilas, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1/2 cup basic tomato sauce, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon hot chili flakes
- 1 pound dried Fregula, small pasta
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, leaves removed but whole
Bring 6 quarts water to boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
In a 12 to 14-inch frying pan, heat olive oil to smoking over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic and prosciutto and saute until softened. Add clams, white wine, saffron, chicken stock and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, cook fregula according to package
instructions, roughly 20 minutes. Drain and add to clam pot and cook until texture and liquidity resemble risotto. Add chili flakes and parsley, stir through and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.