Fried Zucchini Flowers with Buffalo Ricotta: Fiori di Zucca Fritte con Ricotta di Bufala e Pomodori
- 1 cup fresh buffalo ricotta (cow's milk is an acceptable substitute)
- 1 egg
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 zucchini flowers, stamens removed
- 1 pound fresh golden tomatoes, roughly chopped, or golden cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 leaves basil
- 8 leaves opal basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, egg, scallion, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Using a small teaspoon, stuff each blossom with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the filling and set aside.
In a medium bowl, place the tomatoes and toss with the 2 tablespoons olive oil, basil and salt and pepper, to taste, and set aside.
In a 10 to 12-inch saute pan, heat the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil over high heat until smoking. Place 4 flowers at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides.
Arrange 3 blossoms on each plate, pile some of the dressed tomatoes in the center of each plate, tear the basil leaves over the plates, sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.