Fried Zucchini Flowers with Buffalo Ricotta: Fiori di Zucca Fritte con Ricotta di Bufala e Pomodori
- 1 cup fresh buffalo ricotta (cow's milk is an acceptable substitute)
- 1 egg
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 zucchini flowers, stamens removed
- 1 pound fresh golden tomatoes, roughly chopped, or golden cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 leaves basil
- 8 leaves opal basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, egg, scallion, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Using a small teaspoon, stuff each blossom with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the filling and set aside.
In a medium bowl, place the tomatoes and toss with the 2 tablespoons olive oil, basil and salt and pepper, to taste, and set aside.
In a 10 to 12-inch saute pan, heat the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil over high heat until smoking. Place 4 flowers at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides.
Arrange 3 blossoms on each plate, pile some of the dressed tomatoes in the center of each plate, tear the basil leaves over the plates, sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.