Fried Zucchini Flowers with Goat Ricotta and Golden Tomato Oil
- 12 zucchini flowers
- 1 cup fresh goat ricotta, Coach Farm preferred
- 1 egg
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound fresh golden or yellow tomatoes, or golden cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 leaves basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
Pick through open zucchini flowers to remove stamens and check for bugs. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together goat ricotta, egg, scallions and nutmeg and taste for seasoning. Using a small teaspoon, stuff each blossom with 1 1/2 teaspoons of filling and set aside.
Roughly chop tomatoes and place in blender with olive oil, basil leaves and salt and blend until smooth. Pour through strainer into bowl and set aside.
In a 10- to 12-inch non-stick saute pan, heat virgin olive oil until smoking. Place 4 flowers into pan at a time and cook until golden brown on both sides.
Arrange 3 blossoms on each plate, drizzle with sauce and serve immediately.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali