Frittata Salad: Frittatine Verdi in Insalata
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh fennel fronds, plus extra for garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head escarole, cleaned and dried, roughly cut
- Zest and segments of 2 oranges
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
Chop together mint, basil, oregano, fennel fronds, salt and pepper until the size of bread crumbs. Place combined herbs and fennel into a mixing bowl. Crack the eggs into the same bowl. Mix well and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Add 1/2 of the escarole to the egg mixture.
Place an 8 to 10-inch non-stick saute pan over medium heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and heat until smoking. Add 1/3 of the egg mixture to the pan and cook the thin frittata until golden brown. Using a heat resistant spatula if necessary, flip the frittata over and cook on the other side. Remove to a plate to cool. Repeat process until the egg mixture is finished, placing each successive frittata on a different plate.
When the frittatas have cooled, stack 1 on top of the other and cut into 1/4-inch julienne strips. In a clean mixing bowl, combine the remaining escarole, the orange zest and segments, the remaining extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Season, to taste. Combine frittata strips with the escarole salad mixture. Garnish with fennel fronds. Serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.