- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg and 3 yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins, rehydrated in 1/4 cup rum
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped pine nuts
- 1/4 cup chopped candied orange peel
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 crushed cloves
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch cinnamon
In a large bowl, combine the flour, butter, 1 egg, 1 yolk, the sugar, knead the mixture, and form the mixture into a ball. Cover and let sit for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thick with a rolling pin and place the nut and fruit filling in the middle of the dough. Fold the dough over in half, pinch the edges, and brush the outside of the dough with the remaining yolk, beaten. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- 4 apples, cored and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup currant marmellata, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into chunks
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
Place the apples in a casserole, making a well in the center of the chunks. Fill the well with the marmellata, sprinkle the apples with the sugar, dot with the butter, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 pints currants
- Pinch salt