- 8 small whole calamari
- 1 1/2 cups cooked Great Northern beans
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram leaves
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup mint oil, recipe follows
Remove the tentacles and clean the calamari, leaving the bodies whole. Set the tentacles aside. Pull out the quill shaped bone in the center of the calamari tubes and remove the murky stuff as well.
Preheat the grill or broiler.
In a mixing bowl, stir together the cooked beans, rosemary, olive oil, onion, marjoram, and lemon juice and zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Arrange the mixture in the center of 4 plates.
Season the calamari with salt and pepper, brush with a bit of additional oil, and grill for 2 minutes on each side. Arrange 2 calamari over the salad on each plate and drizzle with the mint oil.
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Prepare and ice bath. Plunge the mint leaves into the boiling water for 30 seconds, then remove to the ice bath. Squeeze out the excess liquid and puree in a blender for 1 minute with the olive oil. Makes 1 cup. Yield: 1 cup