Grilled Game Sausage Crepinettes with Wilted Greens and Balsamic Syrup
- 1 pound Magret of duck with fat
- 1/2 pound pork butt
- 1/4 pound Pancetta
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pound caul fat (available at specialty butcher shops)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups kale (bitter escarole), cut into 1/2-inch ribbons
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 bottles balsamic vinegar, reduced to 20 percent to syrup
Preheat the broiler or grill
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meat with the cinnamon, cumin and salt. Mix very well. Divide the mixture into 8 equal oval patties, about 1/2-inch thick. Wrap each patty in caul fat. Place the patties under the broiler or on the grill and cook through, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Set aside.
In a large 12- to 14-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil until just smoking. Add the garlic and saute until very light brown, about 2 minutes. Toss in the kale and saute, stirring quickly, about 2 to 3 minutes, until just wilted but not too soft. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
Divide the mixture equally on 4 plates and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello