Grilled Sardines with Peperonata
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, finely diced
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into chunks
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped, plus 4 cloves garlic, sliced in half
- 8 basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- 3 tomatoes, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh sardines, cleaned and gutted, heads intact
Preheat the grill or broiler. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and pepper and cook over high heat for 4 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and basil, cook for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes. Simmer 15 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and season to taste.
Place the sardines on the hottest part of the grill and cook through, about 2 minutes per side. Meanwhile, divide the peperonata evenly among 4 warmed dinner plates and mound loosely in the center of each plate. Arrange the sardines over each mound of salad and ser
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis