- 1 recipe strudel pastry
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped roughly
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped roughly
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup candied citron
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup currants, soaked 1 hour in 1/2 cup Verduzzo wine
- 2 eggs separated, whites beaten until stiff
- 1/4 cup sugar plus 3 tablespoons
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a cookie sheet.
In a large mixing bowl, combine walnuts, hazelnuts, lemon zest, orange zest, candied citron, chocolate pieces, currants, soaking liquid and stir to combine. Add egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar and fold together. Roll pastry out to a 10 by 16-inch rectangle and position the longest side parallel to the work surface edge. Spoon the filling over the pastry evenly, leaving 2 inches uncovered at the north end. Roll the pastry up like a jelly roll from south to north so it appears to be a thick pipe. Make a circle of the pipe by attaching the two open ends like a wreath. Brush with beaten eggs yolks and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Place on cookie sheet and bake 50 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting. Serve with Verduzzo wine.