- 1 recipe strudel pastry
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped roughly
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped roughly
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup candied citron
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup currants, soaked 1 hour in 1/2 cup Verduzzo wine
- 2 eggs separated, yolks beaten until stiff
- 1/4 cup sugar plus 3 tablespoons
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a cookie sheet.
In a large mixing bowl, combine walnuts, hazelnuts, lemon zest, orange zest, candied citron, chocolate pieces, currants, soaking liquid and stir to combine. Add egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar and fold together. Roll pastry out to a 10 by 16-inch rectangle and position the longest side parallel to the work surface edge. Spoon the filling over the pastry evenly, leaving 2 inches uncovered at the north end. Roll the pastry up like a jelly roll from south to north so it appears to be a thick pipe. Make a circle of the pipe by attaching the two open ends like a wreath. Brush with beaten eggs yolks and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Place on cookie sheet and bake 50 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting. Serve with Verduzzo wine.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali