Insalata di Calamari e Polpo (Warm Seafood Salad)
- 18 baby octopus, boiled 45 minutes with a cork and cooled
- 8 small squid, peeled and cleaned, whole
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper, fresh, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch mint, leaves removed to yield 1/4 cup whole leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups wild bitter greens, washed and spun dry
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil and add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar. Add the octopus and boil 1 minute. Add the squid and cook until it is just translucent, about 1 minute. Drain and place in a warmed bowl. Add the scallions, vinegar, olive oil, peppers, salt and pepper and mint and toss to coat. Add the greens, toss again and serve warm with the lemon wedges.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.