- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 lazzo del rei, or any other small, oily fish, scaled and cleaned
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thin
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 3 tablespoons Gaeta olives
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until just smoking.
Season the fish on both sides and inside the cavity with salt and pepper. Add the fish to the hot saute pan. Cook the fish on 1 side until done, about 3 minutes. Turn fish over, cook for 1 minute and add the garlic, tomatoes, capers, and olives. Cook for 1 minute longer and add the white wine. Continue cooking until all wine has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Season, to taste, and serve immediately.